Two European locations, two from North America, and a popular Middle Eastern tourist area are featured in this interesting group of Gary’s best travel destinations in the world.
130. Salvador de Bahia, Brazil — The third largest city in Brazil (after Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro) has built its wealth and owes much of its history to the sugar cane industry, and, by association, slavery. Tourist typically spend most of their time in the Old Town (Pelourinho), a 16th century enclave of Colonial homes and buildings, located on a cliff above the bay (Walking Tour available on website).
129. Masada & the Dead Sea, Israel — The Dead Sea is the lowest point on the surface of the Earth, 423 meters (1,388 feet) below sea level. It is also the saltiest place on the planet at 33.7% salinity. Visitors love to experience the incredible buoyancy as they wade into the sea. The most significant tourist site near the Dead Sea is Masada, a place where almost 1,000 people committed mass suicide rather than face a life of slavery. It has become a major pilgrimage site for Jews.
128. Bruges, Belgium — Bruges is a time capsule. The city was abandoned for several hundred years when its access to the sea silted up. When people returned and discovered this gem it became one of Europe’s premier small town destinations. Like Venice, it is a city of canals. Stroll the narrow streets and spend some time in its splendid main squares, Markt Square and Burg Square (Walking Tour available for purchase on website) .
127. Bern, Switzerland — This beautiful, walled, medieval city along the Aare River is compact, pleasant to walk, and loaded with charm. Be sure to witness the hourly spectacle of the Glockenspiel and pay careful attention to the carvings above the entrance to the Munster (Walking Tour available for purchase on website).
126. Victoria & Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada — The capital of British Columbia is located on Vancouver Island, a short ferry ride from the mainland. The city is probably Canada’s most beautiful, with a walkable city center that offer many tourist attractions (Walking Tour available for purchase on website).