Every tourist destination has it’s attractions. However, because every tourist is different, these attractions have greater or lesser value. In this series Gary’s gives his reasons for traveling to a particular place. Hopefully some of his thoughts will entice you to consider adding this particular place to your itinerary. The entire series is being categorized under the heading, “Spotlights.” You may find more about these locations in the archives of this website, under headings such as, “Great Places,” “Things to Do in,” “Best of,” “Top 10” and “Places of a Lifetime.” In addition, there may be “Walking Tours” of these places available for purchase on the website for the low price of $1.49 each.
Beijing is China’s showplace. Here visitors can see the old China alongside the new China. Be sure to include Beijing in your China travels for at least the following reasons:
1. The Forbidden City, once the exclusive enclave of the Chinese emperors, is the most important attraction for travelers in Beijing.
2. The Summer Palace, an escape from the city during the hot season, can be found on the outskirts of Beijing.
3. Tiananmen Square is the world’s largest public space. The Monument to the People is a centerpiece of the square.
4. A visit to the Great Wall of China, one of mankind’s most impressive structures, is a must while in Beijing. The closest section of the wall to the city is the Badaling section of the wall.
5. Another popular excursion from Beijing involves a drive to the Ming Tombs, located in the hills north of the city. One of the major emperors with a tomb in this region is Yongle, the third emperor of the Ming Dynasty who ruled in the early 1400s.