Every tourist destination has it’s attractions. However, because every tourist is different, these attractions have greater or lesser value. In this series Gary’s gives his reasons for traveling to a particular place. Hopefully some of his thoughts will entice you to consider adding this particular place to your itinerary. The entire series is being categorized under the heading, “Spotlights.” You may find more about these locations in the archives of this website, under headings such as, “Great Places,” “Things to Do in,” “Best of,” “Top 10” and “Places of a Lifetime.” In addition, there may be “Walking Tours” of these places available for purchase on the website for the low price of $1.49 each.
Berlin is once-again the capital of a united Germany. The scars of its divided past can still be found, but the city is moving forward to erase and sometimes to embrace that past. Berlin is a great city to visit for at least the following reasons:
1. The drab and depressing Berlin Wall, a stark symbol of the deep division between East and West, has now become colorful and inviting thanks to numerous artists from around the world.
2. The glorious Brandenburg Gate has emerged as the major symbol of the city.
3. Even Checkpoint Charlie, the spot where potential confrontations between East and West often occurred, has become a major tourist attraction.
4. Much of old Berlin has been lovingly rebuilt or restored.
5. Parliament again meets in the restored and modernized Reichstag.