Every tourist destination has it’s attractions. However, because every tourist is different, these attractions have greater or lesser value. In this series Gary’s gives his reasons for traveling to a particular place. Hopefully some of his thoughts will entice you to consider adding this particular place to your itinerary. The entire series is being categorized under the heading, “Spotlights.” You may find more about these locations in the archives of this website, under headings such as, “Great Places,” “Things to Do in,” “Best of,” “Top 10” and “Places of a Lifetime.” In addition, there may be “Walking Tours” of these places available for purchase on the website for the low price of $1.49 each.
Montreal is a bustling, cosmopolitan, modern city which has made extensive efforts to preserve its past. Its Old Town (Vieux Montreal) is delightful to explore, especially on foot. Include Montreal in your Canadian plans for at least the following reasons:
1. Vieux Montreal is charming and perfect for a walking tour along its cobblestone streets.
2. Montreal has preserved some of the remnants from its Summer Olympics which were held in 1976.
3. Notre Dame Basilica in Montreal has one of the most beautiful and inspiring interiors in the world.
4. Sometimes the blend of old and new is particularly striking. Places like this are fairly common in a city like Montreal.
5. Montreal’s Botanical Garden is located not far from the city center and makes a wonderful excursion.