Every tourist destination has its attractions. However, because every tourist is different, these attractions have greater or lesser value. In this series Gary gives his reasons for traveling to a particular place. Hopefully some of his thoughts will entice you to consider adding this particular place to your itinerary. The entire series is being categorized under the heading, “Spotlights.” You may find more information about these locations in the archives of this website, under headings such as, “Great Places,” “Things to Do in,” “Best of,” “Top 10” and “Places of a Lifetime.” In addition, there may be “Walking Tours” of these places available for purchase on the website for the low price of $1.49 each.
The mansions along Bellevue Avenue in Newport RI harken back to an earlier period in American History, when some of the wealthiest Americans entertained their peers and relaxed in this southern RI city. But Newport RI is more than elaborate homes; it is a boating Mecca as well as a delightful place to get away from it all. Include Newport RI in any southern New England itinerary for at least the following reasons:
1. My favorite mansion is the Breakers, once the summer home of Cornelius Vanderbilt.
2. Cliff Walk is a lovely stroll along the Newport RI’s rugged rocky coast.
3. Newport’s Old Stone Mill has long been associated with a purported Viking landing in southern New England.
4. The Newport RI Harbor is always crowded with boats, large and small.
4. Shopping abounds throughout the city, but especially in the wharf area.