Every tourist destination has its attractions. However, because every tourist is different, these attractions have greater or lesser value. In this series Gary’s gives his reasons for traveling to a particular place. Hopefully some of his thoughts will entice you to consider adding this particular place to your itinerary. The entire series is being categorized under the heading, “Spotlights.” You may find more about these locations in the archives of this website, under headings such as, “Great Places,” “Things to Do in,” “Best of,” “Top 10” and “Places of a Lifetime.” In addition, there may be “Walking Tours” of these places available for purchase on the website for the low price of $1.49 each.
Panama City is mind-boggling! This modern metropolis is totally unexpected in this country known for its jungles. Panama City was born from the lucrative trade enhanced by the Panama Canal. However, Panama City’s Old Town is of far more interest to the tourist. Its charming cobblestone streets and interesting architecture contrasts markedly with the new city. Include Panama City in your Central American travel plans for at least the following reasons:
1. Views of the modern, new city, from the Old Town, are spectacular.
2. The Cathedral dominates the main square of Panama City’s Old Town.
3. City Hall is another impressive building located in the Old Town of Panama City.
4. Simon Bolivar seems to be revered here for his role in the fight for independence in this region.
5. Don’t miss visiting the Panama Canal Zone to appreciate this engineering wonder which transformed global commerce.