Copenhagen is the capital of Denmark and a delightful city on the Baltic Sea. Recently the Danes were found to be the "happiest people in the world," and this distinction is evident in any trip to its capital. Here are my choices of the best attractions and activities available in Copenhagen. Enjoy your trip!
1. Christiansborg Palace – This building is the seat of political power in Denmark and houses the Danish Parliament, the Supreme Court, and the Prime Minister’s Offices.
2. Tivoli Gardens – This amusement park is reputed to be the world’s oldest, dating to 1843, and is just as popular today, with its Moorish architecture, thrill rides, and thousands of lights which sparkle each evening.
3. Little Mermaid – The symbol of the city, this small statue, barely five feet high, sits on a boulder just offshore. It was sculpted in 1913, and probably reminds Danes of their favorite son, Hans Christian Anderson.
4. Rosenborg Castle – This imposing structure houses the Danish Crown Jewels, the Treasury and also encompasses the King’s Garden and the Botanical Gardens.
5. Amalienborg Palace – The current residence of the Danish Royal Family has a "changing of the guard" ceremony at noon when the family is in residence.
6. Stroll the Stroget – This avenue is the longest and oldest pedestrian street in all of Europe. Browse the many shops or sample the fare of street vendors with the rest of the crowds.
7. Take a Photo at Nyhavn – This area of the city, known as New Harbor, is particularly photogenic with its many boats moored in the canal.
8. Excursion to Roskilde – Only about 30 kilometers west of the city, the town of Roskilde was once the most important city in Denmark. Its cathedral, Roskilde Domkirke, is the final resting place for many Danish monarchs. Here, visitors will also find the Viking Ship Museum, which displays five Viking vessels, painstakingly restored.
9. Have a Carlsberg and Knakkers – Danish Carlsberg beer is featured everywhere in the city and goes very well with the wonderful sausages that snap when they’re bitten.
10. Check out Christiania – The "free city" of Christiania is an area of Copenhagen taken over by squatters who believe in a radically alternative lifestyle — they have declared their area to be separate from Copenhagen, a "free" city.