Here are Gary’s choices for the Top 100 tourist attractions in the United States of America. The best of the hundreds of popular places to visit in the USA are presented in descending order.
Included in this installment is one city, one building, and several natural areas.
55. Empire State Building, New York, NY — For many years the tallest building in the world, this classic giant is now a staple of the “Big Apple” and still popular with tourists for the great views it provides.
54. Denali National Park, Alaska — This vast area in the Alaskan interior preserves the tallest mountain in North America, Mt McKinley (which the natives call Denali).
53. Devil’s Tower National Monument, WY — This brooding, almost otherworldly monolith, actually the remains of a volcanic cone, rises abruptly from the plains. It was featured in the movie, Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
52. Inside Passage, Alaska — This section of the Alaska coast, protected by islands from the Pacific Ocean, provides fairly tranquil waters for cruise ships to visit several Alaskan cities, such as Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway.
51. Charleston, SC — This classic Southern city is known for its elegance and charm. Victorian architecture is the norm here.