Here are Gary’s choices for the Top 100 tourist attractions in the United States of America. The best of the hundreds of popular places to visit in the USA are presented in descending order.
We have finally reached the top 10, the absolute best of the best. This installment contains several American icons, including the greatest city in the world. All of these places are unforgettable.
10. Times Square, New York, NY — The center of life on Manhattan Island is one of the world’s most exciting places on the planet. Times Square is crowded at all times of the day and night and most of the people are mesmerized by the glitz and glamour of the place.
9. Smithsonian Museum, Washington, DC — The largest museum in the world has so many separate buildings that it would take weeks to see the entire collection. Most of the venues are on the National Mall (see attraction #3 in the last installment).
8. Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Big Island, Hawaii — Featured here is Kilauea, the world’s most active volcano. It has been erupting since the early 1990s and is still going strong. Fortunately the lava flows that are produced are primarily Aa (or Pahoehoe), a slow flow that sort of oozes along, offering visitors a chance to see the eruption in action.
7. Glacier Bay, Inside Passage, Alaska — Very similar to the slow flow of Kilauea Volcano, glaciers move ever so slowly to the sea, carving the landscape in the process. Glacier Bay offers visitors a chance to see glaciation in action.
6. Niagara Falls, Niagara Falls, NY — America’s greatest waterfall and one of its most popular vacation and honeymoon spots, Niagara Falls still attracts hundreds of thousands of tourists annually to hear the thunder and see the spectacular cataract which has entertained so many for so long.