Here are Gary’s choices for the Top 100 tourist attractions in the United States of America. The best of the hundreds of popular places to visit in the USA are presented in descending order. Many of the locations in this installment are icons of US travel and easily recognized by people from all over the world.
75. Crazy Horse Sculpture, Black Hills, SD — What will eventually become the world’s largest sculpture is taking place in the Black Hills of South Dakota as we speak. It is an equestrian sculpture of the great Sioux Chieftain.
74. Hoover Dam, Hoover City, NV — At the time it was built, this was the greatest engineering feat in the history of the world. Many died during its construction and it still impresses visitors with its size and scale.
73. Stone Mountain, Atlanta, GA — Located in the niche carved out of a huge monolith, this impressive work of Art is a tribute to the heroes of the Confederacy and looms over Stone Mountain Park. Sculptures of Robert E Lee, Stonewall Jackson, and Jefferson Davis on horseback encourage visitors to remember them as leaders.
72. Biltmore Estate, Asheville, NC — Arguably the grandest of America’s great palaces, this house once belonged to the Vanderbilt family.
71. The Alamo, San Antonio, TX — An inspiration to all who see the films or visit the mission, the Alamo symbolizes the grit and determination that is still a characteristic of Texans.