A visit to Austria, Germany, and/or Switzerland is a wonderful experience. There are many fabulous palaces and castles, several architecturally stunning cities, and numerous small towns, perfectly landscaped and presented. There is enough history to satisfy the most curious and plenty of great museums, as well.
Here are Gary’s top 50 tourist attractions in Austria, Germany, & Switzerland presented in descending order from less important to most important.
45. Oktoberfest, Munich, Germany — One of the world’s most decadent and most popular celebrations, this event draws millions. But even if you cannot visit during the actual Oktoberfest, Munich offers kegs and kegs of beer throughout the year, especially at the Hofbrauhaus, the world’s most famous restaurant for beer and Oompah.
44. Alte Pinakothek, Munich, Germany — Perhaps Germany’s best Art museum, the Alte Pinakothek contains an excellent collection of European paintings, courtesy of the Wittelsbach family.
43. Geneva, Switzerland — One of the great Swiss cities lies in the far southwestern corner of the country, along its border with France.
42. Marchenstrasse (Fairy Tale Road), northern Germany — Another great marketing plan has pieced together sites which revolve around the Brothers Grimm, famous for their legends and fables.
41. Aachen, Germany — The first capital of the Holy Roman Empire is forever associated with Charlemagne. The city, also known as Aix la Chapelle, was also an important spa town during the days of the Roman Empire.