China is an amazing country from the perspective of tourism. Now that more and more world travelers are venturing into this ancient land, they are discovering the many destinations which China has to offer. This series of posts will highlight the best of China, according to Gary. It includes many places that we visited on our memorable journey to this country, as well as other sights suggested by guide books and fellow travelers.
Ah! The rarefied air of the best of the best, the top 10 of the top 50 tourist attractions in China. Spectacular sights abound in this exclusive list.
10. Summer Palace, Beijing — The Chinese emperor’s home away from home is this sprawling complex on man-made Kunming Lake.
9. Stone Forest, Yunnan Province — This geological wonderland of unusual and fancifully shaped rocks lies less than 100 miles southeast of Kunming (see #32 above).
8. Tiananmen Square, Beijing — The largest public square in the world occupies the area just south of the Forbidden City. Chairman Mao’s Mausoleum and the People’s Monument are significant sights on the square.
7. Lion’s Grove Garden, Suzhou — To me the most fascinating of Suzhou’s classic Chinese gardens is this fairyland of stone, water, and pavilions.
6. The Peak & Harbor, Hong Kong — Certainly one of the world’s most impressive skylines is seen from above on Victoria Peak in the mega-city of Hong Kong.