Italy has so many amazing travel destinations. It is the number one travel destination in Europe! Obviously many more than sixty of these attractions could have been listed, but we have only been through some of the country in our two trips there. So, my list is compilation of attractions that I have seen and those that others consider to be must-sees. I will list the top 60 tourist attractions in Italy in installments of five destinations per post, counting down to the best of the best.
This installment includes several icons of travel in Italy, must-sees in some of Italy’s major travel destinations.
55. Spanish Steps, Rome — Probably the most popular gathering place in Rome is located on the Piazza di Spagna, rising to the Triniti dei Monti Church. Tourists and locals alike sit on the steps and people-watch or use the steps as a meeting place.
54. Rialto Bridge, Venice — One of Italy’s most famous bridges, the covered Rialto Bridge spans the Grand Canal and houses numerous shops selling typical Venetian trinkets.
53. La Scala, Milan — The most famous opera house in the world sits in the center of this mega-city. Visitors flock here to see where some of the world’s greatest opera performances occurred and are still occurring.
52. Villa Borghese, Rome — This palace belonging to the powerful Borghese family is now one of Rome’s most important museums and Art galleries.
51. Ponte Vecchio, Florence — Italy’s other (see Rialto Bridge above) famous bridge spans the Arno River which cuts through downtown Florence. Just like its Venetian counterpart, it is a covered bridge with numerous shops inside.