Italy has so many amazing travel destinations. It is the number one travel destination in Europe! Obviously many more than sixty of these attractions could have been listed, but we have only been through some of the country in our two trips there. So, my list is compilation of attractions that I have seen and those that others consider to be must-sees. I will list the top 60 tourist attractions in Italy in installments of five destinations per post, counting down to the best of the best.
We have reached the top 10, the best of the best of the top 60 tourist attractions in Italy. Enjoy!
10. Michelangelo’s David — Considered by most the greatest sculpture in the history of Art, Michelangelo demonstrates his intimate knowledge of human anatomy in this exquisite piece of work.
9. Cinqueterra — The five villages along the Italian Riviera are connected by train and/or a walking path. The assemblage is one of the most charming locations in Italy.
8. St Francis Basilica, Assisi — Built to commemorate one of Catholicism’s most beloved saints, this church features murals of St Francis’ life.
7. Pompeii — Abruptly in 79 AD, this community ceased to exist after lava and ash from Mt Vesuvius erupted and engulfed the town. The benefit for archaeologists was that life in the village was preserved and can now be studied at length.
6. Pantheon, Rome — My favorite ancient building is often recognized as the best preserved structure from the Roman Empire. The classic edifice contains a marble interior which is still used for religious services.