England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, as a group, is known as the United Kingdom. These countries are all intimately affiliated but are unique and separate, offering a diverse collection of attractions for the tourist.
We have reached the pinnacle and the last entry in this particular series. This group is recognizable all over the world as some of the best places to visit, and they certainly are the best representatives of the top 60 tourist attractions in the United Kingdom.
5. Loch Ness, Scotland — The legendary lake and its mythical monster, Nessie, draw thousands of tourists annually, all of them hoping to catch a glimpse of the shadowy “monster.”
4. Leeds Castle, Maidstone, England — To me, this is one of the most beautiful castles in the world, certainly the best in the United Kingdom. Its light stone and idyllic setting make it a lovely place to visit.
3. Westminster Abbey, London, England — This glorious church seems like more of a shrine than a religious building since it holds the remains of so many important people, including numerous kings and queens of England and some of the greatest minds in the history of the world.
2. Tower of London — This incredible complex has served as a prison, a Royal residence, an armory, a treasury, a public records office, and a museum. It is the top tourist attraction in the city of London and has delighted millions with its history of political intrigue and notable executions.
1. Stonehenge, Salisbury Plain, England — This mysterious circle of boulders is one of the world’s greatest treasures. Its origins date to around 3,000 BC, making the site some 5,000 years old. It was definitely an astronomical assemblage but little is known about why and how it was constructed.