England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, as a group, is known as the United Kingdom. These countries are all intimately affiliated but are unique and separate, offering a diverse collection of attractions for the tourist.
Several historical sites mark this particular group of the top 60 tourist attractions in the United Kingdom.
45. Hampton Court Palace — Once a Royal residence, Hampton Court was originally constructed for Cardinal Wolsey by King Henry VIII. It was expanded many years later so has a combination of Baroque and Tudor architectural styles.
44. Hyde Park, London — This extensive park, very close to Buckingham Palace and the Westminster area, was once a Royal hunting ground. Now it is open to the public and offers many activities and places to visit.
43. Buckingham Palace, London — The winter residence of the Royal Family is a major stop on any tourist’s itinerary. An elaborate Changing of the Guard Ceremony takes place daily.
42. Iron Bridge Gorge — Built in 1779, the first iron bridge ever constructed is now a symbol of the beginning of the Industrial Age and an important historical stop in England.
41. Glamis Castle — This castle, associated with the character, Macbeth, in Shakespeare’s play of the same name, is a popular tourist attraction in Scotland.