Every tourist destination has its attractions. However, because every tourist is different, these attractions have greater or lesser value. In this series Gary gives his reasons for traveling to a particular place. Hopefully some of his thoughts will entice you to consider adding this particular place to your itinerary. The entire series is being categorized under the heading, “Spotlights.” You may find more information about these locations in the archives of this website, under headings such as, “Great Places,” “Things to Do in,” “Best of,” “Top 10” and “Places of a Lifetime.” In addition, there may be “Walking Tours” of these places available for purchase on the website for the low price of $1.49 each.
Civilization began in this part of Asia. The region’s history has impacted (and still does) both Eastern and Western Civilization. The city of Jerusalem is the focus of much of the conflict which has occurred and is still occurring on Earth. Yet within the walls of this ancient city various factions continue to coexist. All of mankind should pay a visit to this sacred city, for at least the following reasons:
1. Christianity began here with the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. Millions of Christians make pilgrimages to Jerusalem to visit the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.
2. Jews from around the world travel to Jerusalem to pray at the Western Wall.
3. Muslims come here to see the Dome of the Rock, on the Temple Mount.
4. The city itself is delightful to stroll through, with its narrow, cobbled lanes and impressive walls and gates.
5. Nowhere is the Holocaust more palpable than at Yad Vashem.