Every tourist destination has its attractions. However, because every tourist is different, these attractions have greater or lesser value. In this series Gary’s gives his reasons for traveling to a particular place. Hopefully some of his thoughts will entice you to consider adding this particular place to your itinerary. The entire series is being categorized under the heading, “Spotlights.” You may find more about these locations in the archives of this website, under headings such as, “Great Places,” “Things to Do in,” “Best of,” “Top 10” and “Places of a Lifetime.” In addition, there may be “Walking Tours” of these places available for purchase on the website for the low price of $1.49 each.
Why go to New York City?
NYC is one of the world’s top destinations because of several factors:
1. Sheer excitement; New York offers a flurry of activity at all times of the day or night, especially in Times Square.
2. This is a city of GREAT museums: the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA), the Guggenheim Museum, and the American Museum of Natural History are all world-class museums and worth a visit.
3. The Broadway section of New York City offers the best live theater in the world.
4. In these days which are filled with accounts of terrorism, it is sobering to visit what is known as Ground Zero, to remember the horrific events of September 11, 2001.
5. Two of New York’s attractions, the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, were tangible symbols of freedom and the hope of prosperity to millions of immigrants from the mid-1800’s to the early 1900’s.