The city of San Diego boasts some of the greatest weather in the world. It is delightful there year round. It also has its share of excellent places to see and things to do. Below is my list of the best the city has to offer.
1. Spend a Day or so in Balboa Park — This huge park is the most popular place in the city because of the tremendous variety of things to do and see within its confines. There are a host of wonderful museums and extensive pathways for strolling. The architecture is particularly striking.
2. Observe Some of the World’s Most Unusual Creatures at the San Diego Zoo — Known as one of the best zoos in the world, this grandiose complex is located within Balboa Park (see #1 above). Some of the interesting animals on display include the Koala Bear and the Giant Panda.
3. Visit an Earlier Time at the Hotel del Coronado — This vintage hotel still draws people from around the world because of its location, directly on the Pacific Ocean, and its classic architecture.
4. Get Historical at Old Town San Diego — The original city settlement has been restored and rebuilt to remind visitors of the area’s Spanish heritage.
5. Spend the Day at Coronado Beach — Frequently found on “best beaches” lists, this strip of shoreline, near the “del” (see #3 above) is ideal for families and anyone who enjoys the sand and surf.
6. Take in the View from Cabrillo National Monument — A memorial to the city’s founder can be reached on the Point Loma peninsula. It affords spectacular views of the city, the bay and the mountains beyond.
7. Check Out Mission San Diego — The first of Father Junipero Serra’s original missions is located just north east of the city and is lovingly maintained for its many visitors.
8. Head South of the Border to Tijuana — The raucous and fun town of Tijuana is just a stone’s throw south of San Diego. It makes an interesting excursion.
9. Look for the Swallows at San Juan Capistrano – This adorable mission town is about an hour north of San Diego and makes another worthwhile day trip.
10. Go Upscale in La Jolla — One of the wealthy suburbs of the city boasts a dramatic shoreline, numerous shops and fine golfing.