Three great cities as well as a collection of wonderful small towns, plus one of the world’s greatest engineering triumphs, are included in this assemblage of Gary’s best travel destinations in the world.
125. Boston, Massachusetts, USA — Historians will remember Boston as the place where the American Revolution began. Visitors can investigate some of the landmarks of that struggle by walking the “Freedom Trail.” But Boston is more than history; there are world-class museums, excellent restaurants, and numerous activities available at all times of the day or night. (Walking Tour available for purchase on website)
124. Tuscany Hill Towns, Italy — The region of Italy which contains Florence and Siena is home to a considerable amount of “hill towns’ which just ache to be visited. Villages such as, San Gimignano (Walking Tour available for purchase on website), Lucca (Walking Tour available for purchase on website) , Montepulciano, and Cortona are delightful to explore.
123. Panama Canal & Panama City, Panama — The Panama Canal is one of Man’s greatest engineering feats. Between the French, who failed to complete the canal, and the Americans, who finally did, the construction took 34 years. Ships can save thousands of miles and several days by transiting the canal to travel from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean and vice versa. Panama City has thrived from its connection with the canal. It has become a modern metropolis with an impressive, gleaming skyline. Casco Viejo, its Old Town (Walking Tour available for purchase on website), is another delightful Spanish Colonial city, just made for walking.
122. Old San Juan, Puerto Rico, USA — A walk through this lovely, colorful, walled city includes a visit to the quintessential Spanish fort, El Morro, as well as a trip down cobblestone streets loaded with charm. (Walking Tour available for purchase on website)
121. Cordoba, Spain — This walled city with Moorish roots is famous for La Mezquita, a mosque-turned-cathedral-turned-museum that was begun in 788 AD. The fanciful candy-striped arches produce a thoroughly delightful image. Beautiful courtyards and elegant squares add to the city’s ambience. (Walking Tour available for purchase on website)