Several true icons of the tourist industry are included in this group of the world’s best travel destinations, according to Gary.
120. Piazza dei Miracoli & Pisa, Italy — The famous Leaning Tower of Pisa may have been a scientific adventure for Galileo, but it is more than that for travelers; it is a delightful place to visit. It sits, in company with Pisa’s Cathedral and Baptistry, on one of the most incredible open spaces in the world, the Piazza dei Miracoli (the Field of Miracles).
119. Loire Valley, France — Imagine palace after palace along a wide, fertile river valley. Each chateau in the Loire Valley is more spectacular than the last. The region is a perfect example of the extravagances and indulgences of the French nobility. Places like Chambord and Chenonceau exude power and wealth.
118. Rainbow Bridge National Monument, Arizona, USA — The largest free-standing natural arch in the world can be reached by boat ride across Lake Powell. The arch is located on sacred Indian territory so visits are regulated and well-supervised.
117. Bernese Oberland, Switzerland — This region, southeast of Bern, is known for its skiing, its scenery, and its adorable alpine villages. Places such as Interlaken, Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen are wonderful places to visit any time of the year.
116. Rotorua Thermal Area, North Island, New Zealand — Here is the most popular destination on the North Island of New Zealand. The geothermal area offers geysers, thermal pools and other features associated with the heat from inside the Earth. In addition, Rotorua offers an up-close-and-personal look at the Maori (the Native people of New Zealand) and their culture.