Fantastic scenery can be found in at least four of the five “best travel destinations” in this group. Get ready for some incredible sights at these destinations.
60. Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Big Island, Hawaii, USA — Imagine being able to see hot, glowing magma only a few feet from where you are standing. The opportunity is available here. Kilauea is the most active volcano on Earth and has been erupting continuously since the 1990’s. Drive along Chain of Craters Road to see the destruction that has been wrought by this relentless volcano and then walk out to the active to witness one of the world’s most awesome spectacles.
59. Torres del Paine, Patagonia, Chile — This national park in the very southern part of Chile is a monument to the action of glaciers. As these rivers of ice scoured the landscape the more resistant rock was left behind in the form of ash-grey towers, torres, which dramatically punctuate the surrounding area.
58. Kathmandu & its Valley, Nepal — The Kathmandu Valley boasts seven (7) UNESCO World Heritage Sites within a 20 km (13 mile) radius. The city is an adventure to walk since the labyrinthine alleyways and courtyards make getting lost likely. (Walking Tour available for purchase on website)
57. Angel Falls & the Gran Sabana, Venezuela — The world’s tallest falls, at 2,647 feet, lie in the remote Gran Sabana region of Venezuela. Angel Falls and much of this region with unusual topography has been preserved as Parque Nacional Canaima.
56. Kyoto, Japan — This city was Japan’s capital for over 1,000 years. It is truly rich in history and tradition. It should be THE major destination for tourists who come to Japan. It boasts over 1,000 temples, 3 imperial palaces, 9 major museums, several notable gardens, and more World Heritage Sites than any other city except Rome. (Walking Tour available for purchase on website)