We have arrived at the top twenty of the world’s best travel destinations according to Gary. Here is an offering which includes several of the world’s greatest cities and some of its most amazing wildlife.
20. San Francisco, California, USA — The “City by the Bay” is a truly special place. Framed by the beautiful Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco offers exciting ethnic neighborhoods, a waterfront that is fun to explore, the crookedest street in the world (Lombard Street) and many noteworthy attractions within a few miles of the city. (Walking Tour available for purchase on website)
19. Ngorongoro Crater, Tanzania — Here is the best place in the world to see exotic big game. It was originally part of Serengeti National Park, which it abuts, but was given a separate designation in 1959 to accommodate the Masai people who still live and farm on this territory. Park officials estimate that there are about 30,000 animals in the crater, which is the caldera of a volcano. Most of the “Big Nine,” the most sought-after African wildlife — Water Buffalo, Cheetah, Elephant, Giraffe, Hippopotamus, Lion, Leopard, Rhinoceros, and Zebra — can be found here.
18. Jerusalem, Israel — This ancient city is a must-see for all Christians, Muslims, and Jews. The walled city is replete with religious sites and yet can be a treat for the non-religious as well. The maze of narrow streets reveal interesting shops and tasty morsels. But history is everywhere. (Walking Tour available for purchase on website)
17. Venice, Italy — The city of Venice is made up of over 100 islands within a huge lagoon. Thus, the major thoroughfares are waterways and transportation is typically by boat. All of this makes for a charmingly unique place and a favorite for most who visit. Much of the tourist’s time will be spent in the area of Piazza San Marco, the “Drawing Room of Europe,” where most of the major attractions are located. However, dare to stray from there to sample the real Venice in narrow alleys beside tranquil canals, with the true Venetians. You will never forget it. (Walking Tour available for purchase on website)
16. Great Barrier Reef, Australia — The largest barrier reef on Earth is one of nature’s most incredible natural wonders. It extends almost 2,000 km (1,200 miles), mirroring the coastline of Queensland. To think that this huge, elaborate construction is the result of the activity of creatures less than an inch long is truly amazing. The reef is not only large, but its many nooks and crannies attract a tremendous variety of sea life. This area is the ultimate dive spot; it is also popular with snorkelers.