Every tourist destination has it’s attractions. However, because every tourist is different, these attractions have greater or lesser value. In this series Gary’s gives his reasons for traveling to a particular place. Hopefully some of his thoughts will entice you to consider adding this particular place to your itinerary. The entire series is being categorized under the heading, “Spotlights.” You may find more about these locations in the archives of this website, under headings such as, “Great Places,” “Things to Do in,” “Best of,” “Top 10” and “Places of a Lifetime.” In addition, there may be “Walking Tours” of these places available for purchase on the website for the low price of $1.49 each.
Granada was the last Moorish stronghold in Spain. It was finally conquered by King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella in 1492, and the Moors were driven from Europe. The noblest Moorish castle, the Alhambra, is the centerpiece of any visit to this intriguing city. Definitely do not miss Granada during any trip to Spain for at least the following reasons:
1. I consider the Alhambra one of the most exquisite palaces in the world. The Moorish architecture is breath-taking.
2. The palace complex is adorned with a series of courtyards, the most famous of which is the Patio of the Lions.
3. The Alhambra’s gardens, the Generalife, are considered among the world’s most beautiful of this type.
4. A walk through the Arab section of the city, the Albaicin, is rewarded with a spectacular view (Mirador) of the Alhambra from across a valley.
5. Granada’s Cathedral is also worth visiting.