Every tourist destination has it’s attractions. However, because every tourist is different, these attractions have greater or lesser value. In this series Gary’s gives his reasons for traveling to a particular place. Hopefully some of his thoughts will entice you to consider adding this particular place to your itinerary. The entire series is being categorized under the heading, “Spotlights.” You may find more about these locations in the archives of this website, under headings such as, “Great Places,” “Things to Do in,” “Best of,” “Top 10” and “Places of a Lifetime.” In addition, there may be “Walking Tours” of these places available for purchase on the website for the low price of $1.49 each.
St Petersburg is Russia’s regal city. It was first established by Peter the Great and became the first capital of Russia. Elegant architecture and numerous significant attractions make St Petersburg a must-see destination. St Petersburg should be on everyone’s travel bucket list for at least the following reasons:
1. The Bronze Horseman, an equestrian statue of Peter the Great is considered one of the world’s greatest sculptures.
2. The world’s largest Art museum is the Hermitage, housed in a section of the Winter Palace.
3. The Alexander Column graces the huge, elegant square (Palace Square) in front of the Winter Palace.
4. One of Russia’s most famous churches was built on the spot where Tsar Alexander II was assassinated. Thus, it is called the Church of Our Savior on Spilled Blood.
5. St Petersburg is also the base of operations for an exploration of several of the world’s most elaborate palaces. The most famous of these palaces is Peterhof, a summer residence designed and built by Peter I.