Every tourist destination has it’s attractions. However, because every tourist is different, these attractions have greater or lesser value. In this series Gary’s gives his reasons for traveling to a particular place. Hopefully some of his thoughts will entice you to consider adding this particular place to your itinerary. The entire series is being categorized under the heading, “Spotlights.” You may find more about these locations in the archives of this website, under headings such as, “Great Places,” “Things to Do in,” “Best of,” “Top 10” and “Places of a Lifetime.” In addition, there may be “Walking Tours” of these places available for purchase on the website for the low price of $1.49 each.
Tallinn, the capital of Estonia, was subjugated for many years behind the Iron Curtain. Its emergence from Russian rule has resulted in the discovery of this Baltic gem by tourists. The city is thriving and deserves its new-found acclaim. Don’t miss Tallinn in your Baltic travels for at least the following reasons:
1. The walled, medieval Old Town is peppered with dramatic towers, making Tallinn one of the most well-fortified cities in Europe.
2. Tallinn’s Main Square is crowded with locals and tourists at all times of the day or night.
3. Churches are an important part of the local culture in Tallinn and provide some the major attractions for tourists.
4. Tallinn’s Upper Town is the home of Estonia’s Parliament which meets in the “Pink Palace.”
5. Upper Town offers spectacular views of Lower Town and its rooftops.