Churches and other religious/spiritual sites are some of the world’s most important attractions for travelers. The are typically the focal point of a city or village and reflect the culture and values of the region. Churches, especially, are significant architecturally and represent the best efforts of a community to express itself. Lee & I have been to hundreds of churches in our travels. Many of these have become unforgettable memories of a particular place. To actually rank these sites is virtually impossible. How can you choose between amazing sights such as Hagia Sophia, the Pantheon, and Mont-St-Michel? Therefore, I will present my favorite 150 spiritual places in installments of five (5), listed alphabetically. Many of my choices are World Heritage Sites and deserve to be preserved forever. Many are simply charming or may hold some special historical significance. Peruse the list and compare your list to mine. Obviously I have not been to all the spiritual places on Earth, but most of these would probably make the all-time list of the majority of world travelers.
Installment 23 — #’s 111-115
111. St John’s Anglican Church, Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, Canada — This adorable white church is set back from the road in a pleasing setting in the UNESO World Heritage town of Lunenburg.
112. St John’s Cathedral, Belize City, Belize — This is the oldest church in what was once British Honduras. It should be included in any walking tour of Belize City.
113. St John the Baptist Cathedral, Thira, Santorini — This picturesque church, painted in ocher and white, is typical of the religious architecture of the Greek islands.
114. St John the Baptist Cathedral, Savannah, Georgia — This beautiful church can be found in the historic heart of Old Savannah.
115. St Louis Cathedral, Fort-de-France, Martinique — This interesting church has a metal frame because of the strength of iron to withstand the natural disasters that have plagued the site. The six (6) previous structures were all destroyed by either earthquakes, hurricanes, or fires.