Paris, the "City of Lights," is one of the world’s great cities. To narrow its major tourist attractions down to ten is not an easy proposition. However, I have produced my list of Paris’ best below. A photo album will follow tomorrow.
1. Eiffel Tower. This world travel icon was built in 1889 for the World’s Fair and has delighted tourists ever since. Its location along the Seine makes it visible from almost anywhere in Paris.
2. The Louvre. Probably the world’s greatest art museum, the Louvre contains famous works such as the Da Vinci’s Mona Lisa, and Venus de Milo, one of the most well-known sculptures in the world.
3. Arc d’Triomphe. This huge memorial, built by Napoleon, commemorates his battles during his campaign to rule the world. It sits at the end of the famous Champs Elysses and its observation area provides wonderful views of the city.
4. Notre Dame Cathedral. This church, on an island in the Seine, is the quintessential Gothic church. It has been immortalized in Victor Hugo’s Hunchback of Notre Dame.
5. Sacre Coeur Church. This glistening white structure, high on a hill in the Montmartre area, has a commanding view of the entire city below. It can be reached by funicular.
6. Versailles Palace, just southwest of the city. The incredibly ornate palace of Versailles is the most popular excursion from Paris. It was the crowning glory of the Sun King, Louis XIV.
7. Left Bank Cafe. One of Paris’ most popular activities involves sipping coffee or a beer at an outdoor cafe on the left bank of the Seine. It’s one of the best places in the world to people-watch.
8. Orsay Museum. Although not as well known as the Louvre (see above) this art museum is adored by many, Because it is not as large and offers a more intimate experience.
9. Luxembourg Garden. This romantic refuge of quiet and retreat in the bustling city provides relief for both locals and tourists. Stroll the grounds to admire the flowers and fountains.
10. Champs Elysses. One of the world’s grandest avenues, this tree-lined stretch of upscale shops and restaurants reminds everyone why Paris is the capital of fashion in the world.
Other sights considered:
Place de la Concorde
Paris Opera House