China is an amazing country from the perspective of tourism. Now that more and more world travelers are venturing into this ancient land, they are discovering the many destinations which China has to offer. This series of posts will highlight the best of China, according to Gary. It includes many places that we visited on our memorable journey to this country, as well as other sights suggested by guide books and fellow travelers.
This group of sights among the top 50 tourist attractions in China runs the gamut from entertainment to charming village to big city to solitude.
30. Humble Administrator’s Garden, Suzhou — One of the loveliest of Suzhou’s classic Chinese gardens, this spot is a treasure of water, rocks, and landscaping exuding an overall calm and tranquility.
29. The Bund & Old City, Shanghai — The Bund is an architectural reminder of the days when Shanghai welcomed (although reluctantly) the world.
28. Tang Dynasty Show, Xi’an — This evening spectacle of color and fanciful costumes offers visitors an opportunity to look back at an earlier China.
27. Leshan Buddha, near Chengdu — This giant, seated, wooden Buddha sits grandly along the river, welcoming thousands of visitors per year.
26. Lijiang, Yunnan Province — This delightful town has been recognized by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site. It is the home of the Naxi people.