Italy has so many amazing travel destinations. It is the number one travel destination in Europe! Obviously many more than sixty of these attractions could have been listed, but we have only been through some of the country in our two trips there. So, my list is compilation of attractions that I have seen and those that others consider to be must-sees. I will list the top 60 tourist attractions in Italy in installments of five destinations per post, counting down to the best of the best.
The last in this particular series are the best that Italy has to offer.
5. Amalfi Coast Drive — One of the world’s greatest scenic drives hugs the steep, dramatic coastline of Western Italy. Villages spill down the mountainside toward the sea. It doesn’t get any better than this.
4. Campo dei Miracoli — The “field of miracles” contains one of the world’s greatest assemblages, the Leaning Tower of Pisa (a church bell tower), Pisa’s Duomo, and the Baptistry.
3. St Mark’s Basilica, Venice — Here is the focal point of life in Venice. All things revolve around the Basilica and its grand square. The Byzantine masterpiece fascinates visitors with its history and its design.
2. Vatican Museum — One of the world’s greatest collections of art occupies the space right next to St Peter’s Basilica. The highlight is the Sistene Chapel with ceiling frescoes by Michelangelo.
1. Colosseum, Rome — This mega-structure, built in 79 AD, once hosted chariot races, gladiatorial combat, and many other distinctly Roman activities. It is now one of the most recognized buildings in the world.