Every tourist destination has its attractions. However, because every tourist is different, these attractions have greater or lesser value. In this series Gary’s gives his reasons for traveling to a particular place. Hopefully some of his thoughts will entice you to consider adding this particular place to your itinerary. The entire series is being categorized under the heading, “Spotlights.” You may find more about these locations in the archives of this website, under headings such as, “Great Places,” “Things to Do in,” “Best of,” “Top 10” and “Places of a Lifetime.” In addition, “Walking Tours” of many of these destinations may be available for purchase on the website for the low price of $1.49 each.
Key West is, without doubt, the most outrageous place in America. Locals here display a total lack of inhibition and a very creative, alternative attitude toward society. The overall effect is positively liberating and charming. Come here and “let it all hang out!” Specific reasons for a visit to Key West include the following:
1. A tour of the city on the Conch Train is a great introduction to the sights of the area. After your narrated ride, you can return to those places that intrigued you.
2. Visit Sloppy Joe’s Bar, a local institution and a great place to people-watch.
3. Crowds gather at Mallory Square each evening for a glorious view of sunset on the Gulf of Mexico.
4. The Hemingway House offers a personal look at the iconic American author who spent many years here.
5. Since Key West lies at the southernmost point of the Continental USA, there are several reminders of this fact near downtown.