Artistic expression is one of the hallmarks of the human intellectual achievement. Since the early days of civilization, man has sought to depict his understanding and appreciation of the world through art. One of the purest examples of fine art is the sculpture, a three-dimensional representation of reality, usually done in stone or metal. As one travels the world, he sees many examples of this type of expression. In the accompanying photo album, I have catalogued some of the very best sculptures of all time (check for it tomorrow).
By the way, some will argue that there is no need to travel to see great art, that it is available in books, videos or other media, but I maintain that there is no substitute for seeing the “real thing”, that to be truly appreciated, art must be seen first hand. There is a certain “rush” that one gets when seeing something up close and personal that has been displayed many times and for many years in books. It is exciting to realize that one is actually experiencing the real thing.
The following is my list of the world’s greatest sculptures. They date from the 3rd century B.C. to the Twentieth Century. I have also listed the artist and the place that the sculpture can be seen in person. The list is in no special order. See photos of these great works of Art in the Photo Album section of the blog.
1. David, Michelangelo, found in the Accademia in Florence, Italy
2. The Thinker, Rodin, found in the Rodin Museum in Paris and in front of the Congress Building, Buenos Aires, Argentina
3. Venus de Milo, unknown sculptor, found in the Louvre, Paris, France
4. Statue of Liberty, Bartholdi, on Liberty Island in New York City Harbor, New York, USA
5. Pieta, Michelangelo, found in St Peter’s Basilica, Vatican City
6. Winged Victory of Samothrace, Unknown sculptor, found in the Louvre, Paris, France
7. David, Donatello, found in the Bargello Museum, Florence
8. Moses, Michelangelo, found in the Church of San Pietro in Vincoli, Rome, Italy
9. Discobolos, Myron, original no longer exists, a copy can be found in the National Museum, Rome, Italy and the British Museum,London, England
10. The Kiss, Rodin, found in the Rodin Museum, Paris, France
11. Rape of the Sabine Women, da Bologna, found in the Loggia dei Lanzi, Florence, Italy
12. Laocoon and His Sons, Agesander, Athenodoros, & Polydorus, found in the Vatican Museum, Vatican City
13. Christ the Redeemer, Landowski, found on Corcovado mountain overlooking the city of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
14. The Awakening, J. Seward Johnson Jr., found in East Potomac Park, Washington, D.C., USA
15. East Doors of the Baptistry, Ghiberti, found opposite the Duomo in Florence, Italy
16. Mount Rushmore, Borglum, found the Black Hills of South Dakota, USA
17. Stone Mountain, Lukeman, found just outside of Atlanta, Georgia, USA
18. Winged Mercury, da Bologna, found in the Bargello Museum, Florence, Italy
19. The Four Rivers, Bernini, found in the Piazza Navona, Rome, Italy
20. Crazyhorse Memorial, Ziolkowski, found in the Black Hills of South Dakota, USA